Online Dating, good or bad?

Skateratmidnight

I've done it before and I don't find anything wrong with it. If I find someone I truely connect with I give it a go. I never seem to find anyone that I relate to where I live cause I kinda keep to myself most of the time. Whenever I meet someone interesting online though: I make sure I chat with them for awhile cause you never know what you may find online. And there's a lot of creepy people out there. So you have to be cautious a little of course.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I mean I've seen so many successful relationships through the internet but then I have seen some that have failed miserably and some being victims of a catfish. (Anyone seen the TV show on MTV?)

It's a good thing, believe me but it does have it's danger. You have to Skype! It's a must to know that they're real for a first, if they're real then I don't see anything wrong with it. Love is love. Meh.

• 5 months later...

Not for everyone, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with it.

Literally all of the friends I talk to regularly I met on League of Legends, and I have now lived with someone I originally met on Tagged- and became close with on league- for over 8 months.

People irl are way creepier than people on the internet, in my experience. It's easier to become close to people online because you're less afraid of judgement (if they judge you, all you have to do is delete or block them) and they can't ruin your life by telling all of your co-workers/family/friends your secrets, because they don't know who your closse irl contacts are. They're only as close as you let them, but people irl can easily take advantage of you.

The only difference I can point out between my experiences and normal online dating experiences is that I actually do things with my dates/friends/acquaintances, instead of just talking. By playing a videogame we are working together toward a common goal, using teamwork and depending on each other to win- not just depending on lifeless pixel-y words or awkward (not always awkward, if you're lucky :3) video calls to get to bond with someone. It's important to keep things fresh, exciting, and have 'dates' or activities you share together just like irl relationships.

Cute ideas to stay connected and not be boring are movie dates via Netflix and Skype calls, letters and little surprise gifts by mail (what's more intimate when you're far away than a handwritten letter that your lover has actually touched with their actual hands?), and any app similar to Avocado. Of course, meeting up at a safe place in person is always ideal.

Just take any normal precautions you would with anyone else :P

• 6 months later...

I'm only a fan of online dating if the person is either nearby or if there's a big chance of the two people meeting in person (after being shown proof that they're who they say they are, obviously). One of my longest relationships was a long distance relationship. We met on Myspace, were together over three years, and would see eachother in Illinois (where he lives) or Georgia (where I lived at the time) once every 4 or 5 months or so.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...