Find results in...

User Menu

Sign In

Sign In

Forum Menu

Scribe

Seriousness of giving out your personal information/social networking

Fill out your info id like to no more about you PM me for my facebook k

Recently I have seen a very heavy in the increase of people with emails/social networking be extremely willing to give out their personal information.

What is personal information?

-Phone #

-Social Networking (has your last name' date=' where you live, and typically you tell everyone where you live, where you go to school, and where you work)

I've noticed that just because you [b']think[/b] you're in the same little "clique", that you think it's "ok" to willingly give out this information freely. I'm here to tell you why this is an extremely horrible idea. Some of these people that 'sound like you' are not like you at all - they are trolls whom only serve to gather as much information as possible about you, and to post it on the internet so thousands of people can begin emailing you, calling you, and harassing you via your oh-so favorite social network that you decided to give them so freely.

What to actually do with your phone:

First of all, your phone is not truly yours, unless you pay the bills every month. Your phone belongs to and is paid by your parents or otherwise guardians. Therefore, you should not give it to random strangers you dont know, even if you think you know them.

Your phone serves as a means for emergencies, and to let your parents know where you are, should anything happen. Then its second purpose, is to chat with your real life friends

Until you start paying the phone bill yourself, do not give this information to anyone.

What to actually do with your social networking:

Yes this may be yours - but "friend count" has nothing to do with being "cool" or "popular". Again - only add your real life friends. Feel free to add anyone you've gotte nto know on the internet when you've known them for a year or two at the least. But if you're going to add internet people, might want to leave your entire family off of your social network page(s)

What to actually do with your E-mail:

Add your real life friends to your messenger. Do not randomly give this to people that fall into your "clique" or happen to like the same things as you, until you've actually known them for a long time, ie, months. Do not add someone just because you find them cute/"hot"/attractive - they are probably a fake, and want to post your information all over the internet. Think someone looks good? - make them prove they are real. Pictures can be faked or taken off of google, the only sure way is via a cam site.

• Upvote 2

Also many of you might wonder why I made this.

It's because on here, and in the chat - too many people are doing this. So, it's not aimed at one person so much as, everyone that does this. Anyone who doesn't - Good.

Very nice Scribe. I personally try to keep my social networks as private as possible. I don't give out my facebook or anything. However I do give out my Tumblr and Youtube because those are meant to be public.

But this is great to have. However Idk if many people will read it...

I understand the types of people you are talking about but there is a fine line between safe and ridiculous.

Me for instance, I keep all of my facebook private, and fake the location. I also have two numbers, one is my real life number that I only give people I have seen in rl before (and my bf) and the second is through my ipod through textplus so I got to choose a random number that cannot be traced.

There are two groups of friends I have on fb

1) People I know- I have talked to them, seen them in rl, or befriended them elsewhere.

2) My bf's friends- He knows all of his friends, and the one's he doesn't are friends of mine that I talk to on a regular basis.

I will say this, I am American, my bf is Canadian, and most of my friends are Canadian. The group I share most info with (my bf, and 4 other friends, 3 of which are Canadian) meet up on tinychat and have video conferences all the time together. like 5 days a week I'd say.

As far as "who pays for the phone" good argument, if what you do costs anything at all. Free unlimited texting to US and Canada for me, so it really just does not matter in the sense of "who pays" who I talk to on my phone.

Now I understand where you are coming from with people all "Text me ***-***-****!!" all over the internet, but there is some middle ground. And the middle is the best place.

-here's to hoping I did not just offend everyone!-

about a year ago I met a guy who is SURELY a pedophile stalker....creepy....after having NO INTERNET for a year, I have learned my lesson not to tell strangers personal things...its really unsafe

• Upvote 1

I have several different email addresses, but they're the only things I give out.

I never give out mobile numbers, and the closest i get to giving out my address is saying I live in Australia ^^

If you want to give somebody your facebook or information like that, please do so though PM. Its strongly advised not to do this, as you cant truely know somebody online.

Dell has a point, its your choice who you tell private informatioon to, but not everyone is who they say they are on the internet.

You called him Dell... You use the other chat?

I keep telling people to look here all the time -_-

I just feel the need to enforce this sometimes.

Do someone a favor, possibly save a life.

Edited by ZeroHeart
  • Upvote 1

i never give out my address...

i give out my email sumtimes...idc much about that...

idc if ppl kno my name n age but i wudnt give out an address (only PO box if someone wanted it i guess)

i wouldnt give out my phone number unless i was close to them or i actually knew them n real life...

• Upvote 1