Wasn't sure where to put this... Short Story

PurpleKitty

Mysteries.

I’ve never really liked them.

Yet here I was, stuck with having to decipher a mystery. I’ve never been good at them, or puzzles. They are just something I tend to avoid, makes my life easier but no my editor had to assign me with a mystery. Yes I love reading; I read every day, but never a mystery. They had continued to elude me, would have too if my editor hadn’t assigned me to do the review on the latest mystery book.

Sigh.

I tapped my fingers on the wheel as I waited for the lights to change. Well on the good side of things, it’s Friday so I don’t have to start the book yet. Just thinking about the book makes me tired, I think I’ll go home and have a nice hot chocolate cappuccino. The lights turned green but the traffic didn’t seem to be moving, finally the traffic moved forward.

I get out of the car shivering, the wind has picked up and clouds have gathered. It will most likely start raining soon, gathering my paper work, handbag and the novel I head inside. I wonder what’s for dinner, its Lexi’s turn to cook today, she is a better cook than me, thank god otherwise we’d never have decent food. As I walk inside, turning the light on and dumping my stuff on the floor inside the hallway I freeze.

Dread fills me, starting from the bottom of my toes and works its way up.

Something has happened.

Something bad has happened.

I call out to Lexi but she doesn’t respond.

I wasn’t expecting her too.

As if in a trance and look around the apartment, none of my favourite artworks are in sight, the white walls bare and glowing under the lights. No furniture was anywhere in sight, stunned I walk slowly to my bedroom and open the door. Darkness welcomed me, flicking on the light, I found nothing.

Nothing I owned was anywhere in sight.

I walk to the drawers and open them one by one. Still nothing I owned was anywhere in sight. In a daze I walk back to the lounge and head towards the kitchen. The same had happened here, nothing; absolutely nothing I owned was in sight. Not even the coffee machine.  

I walk further into the kitchen, reaching into my pocket for my keys as I come to the drawer in which I kept most of my valuables. I hesitated for a second, not sure of what I would find. Inserting the key I turned the key, it went click. Slowly I opened the drawer, but the nothing was there except for a piece of paper sitting right at the back. I picked it up and closed the drawer, slowly turning around I sunk to the floor. Whoever had been here, managed to take everything, absolutely everything.

I fell into a well of darkness, of despair.

I had lost everything important to me.

After awhile of just sitting there, the coldness of the tiles began to seep through my clothes and chill my skin. Shaking I opened the letter, mind blank and emotionless as I had already lost everything, what else did I have to lose.

My heart skipped a beat as I realised the writing was done by Lexi’s hand; I let out a harsh bark of surprise as I read her note.

My dear Adriana, I’m terribly sorry for doing this. But I had no choice; please meet me at 87 parker’s street on the top floor. I will explain everything.

I need you to come, for my sake and yours.

I ran to the door and grabbed my car keys as I headed outside, the rain had stopped, thank god for small mercies. If Lexi needs my help I would help her, I just hope that she is okay and that I got there in time.

As I pull up to the building I start at how high the building is it looked at least 20 storeys high, Lexi wanted to meet me on the roof top, I hope she knows what she is doing.

I walk inside; the place looks deserted, and head towards the stairs. I wasn’t sure if the elevator went to the roof top, or if it even still works.

As I reached the roof top I saw Lexi fall off the building, without thinking I ran and jumped after her. I couldn’t let my best friend die, at least not alone. I suddenly realise how stupid my move was, but that was too late now as I started falling. The cold wind whipped my hair around my face, stinging like a slap in the face. I struggled to breathe as I was falling face first, arms and legs spread out to try and slow my fall.

Knowing that it wouldn’t work.

I was falling fast; it looks like I’m going to die.

Twisting my body in the air, I manage to flip myself onto my back, at least when I fall, I wouldn’t see how close I was to impacting the concrete several feet below. Big mistake, pain erupted from the centre of my back, I arched to try and ease the pain but that didn’t work. The pain began to spread outwards till my whole back feels like its on fire. I close my eyes against the pain but nothing helps.  The wind doesn’t even seem to help me cool down, it whips harshly against my body aggravating the pain. I want to scream but nothing comes out of my throat, feels like my throat is blocked not allowing any sound through.

I could feel a tingling sensation beginning at the front of my head; it kept getting stronger and stronger annoying my senses, until I opened my eyes.

Above me was my friend Lexi.

She looked like a ghost, her pale blonde hair flowing around her face as if she was underwater, and her piercing blue eyes boring into my green eyes. She gestured with her hands as if she was trying to say something but I couldn’t hear what she was saying. Her mouth moved as if she was yelling, trying to get me to listen, but I couldn’t hear her.

I stopped trying for a moment and attempted to push all of my pain to the back of my thoughts, I could hear the barest murmur of Lexi’s voice. Concentrating I focused on Lexi’s voice, it slowly became louder and clearer.

“Adriana, listen to me, this is important, heed what I say”

Lexi’s voice became weaker as pain stabbed me fiercely in the back and I had to concentrate even more to listen to what she had to say.

“You are neither devil, nor angel but of both blood lines”

Pain strikes anew in my back and I struggle to hear what she has to say.

“Unknown to those above and below. You have been protected for a reason, but no longer can you be protected and hidden from the world. You must free yourself, look inside and unlock your soul, let yourself become who you truly are.”

Excruciating pain erupted in my back as if someone was sewing something to my spine using a needle that was on fire, tears began to stream down my face. The pain was becoming unbearable and harder to ignore.

“I will never leave you Adriana, I will always be with you no matter what happens I am apart of you.”

This sounded a lot like a goodbye and my heart started to ache from the thought of saying goodbye to Lexi even for just a little while. She is my best friend and I don’t want to be separated from her no matter what. It was getting harder for me to breathe, choking on my tears I tried to pay attention.

“Apart of you that you have yet to explore and understand.”

Her voice was slowly starting to fade along with her ethereal form and it was becoming harder to understand, I missed some of what she said. As I watched in stunned horror, my best friend was fading slowly fading right in front of me and I couldn’t do anything to help her.

“Which you must do before he comes for you, I’m sorry I can’t explain more but time is short and you must hurry.”

With her last words my back felt as if it was split in half down the middle, I pulled my arms and legs together so my body was in a ball form, attempting to help get rid of the pain lacing my back.

Something tore through the skin on my back, sending an aching chill to my heart. I screaming as I stretched out and arched my back, pain lining every bone.

And then it was all gone. All the pain stopped.

I was no longer falling, the wind no longer whipped harshly against my body.

The sensation was strange, I stretched again and this time it felt like I was stretching muscles in my back, that I hadn’t had previously. Shock hit me, as I began to start falling again.

This time I was falling fast and ground was fast approaching, so this is it. I’m going to die.

My last thoughts were I wish I could fly.

Tears blinded my sight, as I started to rise again. Confused I turn my head around to my left side and out of the corner of my eye I saw a dark shadow moving swiftly behind me. Then turning to my right side I glimpsed a white blur moving swiftly.

Like beating wings. 

*need help with a name, it's for an English Competition advice is welcome*

This is REALLY good O.O i loved it!

The only things i think you should change is first when you said " The lights turned green but the traffic didn’t seem to be moving, finally the traffic moved forward." I think you should probably add like some details on what she did before the traffic began to move because it seemed like it sorta transitioned too fast. But don't add like a lot of detail just a bit like "Slightly frustrated, i tapped my fingers rhythmically on the wheel, trying to match the sound of my car radio playing softly in the background. Finally, i breathed a sigh of relief as the traffic took a slow start." Something like that you know, you can use that if you like.

Next maybe change this line: " As I reached the roof top I saw Lexi fall off the building, without thinking I ran and jumped after her. I couldn’t let my best friend die, at least not alone." Into: "As i reached the roof top, i saw Lexi fall over the edge. Without thinking, i ran towards the edge and jumped after her. I couldn't let my befriend die, at least not alone."

Besides those two things, it's really great :)

This is REALLY good O.O i loved it! The only things i think you should change is first when you said " The lights turned green but the traffic didn’t seem to be moving, finally the traffic moved forward." I think you should probably add like some details on what she did before the traffic began to move because it seemed like it sorta transitioned too fast. But don't add like a lot of detail just a bit like "Slightly frustrated, i tapped my fingers rhythmically on the wheel, trying to match the sound of my car radio playing softly in the background. Finally, i breathed a sigh of relief as the traffic took a slow start." Something like that you know, you can use that if you like. Next maybe change this line: " As I reached the roof top I saw Lexi fall off the building, without thinking I ran and jumped after her. I couldn’t let my best friend die, at least not alone." Into: "As i reached the roof top, i saw Lexi fall over the edge. Without thinking, i ran towards the edge and jumped after her. I couldn't let my befriend die, at least not alone." Besides those two things, it's really great :)

Thanks a ton!! :D haha I'm actually entering it into a contest, but didn't know if it was good enough of a story line to