Is perfection real?

Does anyone else besides me believe that perfection doesn't exist? Because everyone tells me i'm perfect and then they leave. So if perfection really existed, Wouldn't they stay? I'm so confused. It seems like every guy is the same and its quite irritating. >___< i just want someone to stay for goodness sake, But anyways... Does anyone agree? 

I suppose you could say that perfect does exist, that perfect thing for you. your judgement on stuff makes things you see deemed perfect or not. reality of the world? and not just are own personal tastes? yeah perfect doesnt exist its just what the world has created it, so oneself can be judgemental and otherself can be arrogant. i dont know, thats just how i see it.

The definition of 'perfect' is different to everyone, so what is perfect to someone will not be perfect to someone else.

1. conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type: a perfect sphere; a perfectgentleman.

2. exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose: a perfect actor to play Mr.Micawber; a perfect saw for cutting out keyholes.

3. entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings: a perfect apple; the perfect crime.

4. accurate, exact, or correct in every detail: a perfect copy.

i think it can be real but depends on the person's view.!and it can change after a while.like the person who admires you for having an act after seeing that for a while feels like it bores them instead of admiring it which shows you were not exactly perfect to them and it was just something that the person was thinking at that moment.

practically it can stay and not go away but rarely happens as much as i can see.!

Perfection is based on the opinion. That being said there really is no perfection or perfect thing unless you're describing something that indefinitely fits it's description, such as a shape. Also since perfection is based on opinion the idea of it could change to someone, you could have been perfect to someone at one point but they might have inadvertently changed their minds.

When someone tells you that you are perfect without having known you for years already and having seen you at your worst and your best, then I don't believe them. 

When someone tells you that you're perfect without a good understanding of you as a person they are probably talking about what you appear to be to them.

In doing this they are idolising and objectifying you, and when they get to know you better that image they had of you becomes out of focus and they suddenly realise that actually you are human and the allure and attraction that they felt will, more often than not, fade to almost nothing.

I don't call people perfect. 

a little bit of what everyone already mentioned... Perfection to me has can't be used as calling someone or something but rather and action or a project and even then its going to vary depending on who sees it so its really just a loose term. Like an artist making an abstract drawing. To them it can be perfect but others may not agree. But saying like someone maybe perfect for someone else to me is a good use of it too.

Everything has flaws. But it takes that special person to overlook those flaws and see who you really are. Jem and I try to find the good in people through all the bad. Therefore we believe in perfection because we overlook the flaws. Someone may be broken and see themselves as nothing but flaws but I would look at them and see a wonderful person. Especially if you mean something to me, I will think you're just amazing. Call me silly, but I do see perfection in people. Their flaws make them perfect because it makes them who they are today. Without those flaws, they wouldn't be themselves. I'm sorry about your situation and maybe they didn't mean it, maybe they just said it to say it. But remember, there is always fish in the sea. You'll find someone soon enough. Sometimes it just happens. Don't go out looking for love, love finds you, only if your patient. And I promise you, he'll be worth the wait. <3

Perfection is both real and unreal at the same time, essentially an oxymoron.

Perfection 'can exist', but it's very much in the moment - what is perfect for you, as a specific point in time, in a specific situation etc... etc...

The issue with the above theory is quite simply that in that moment of 'perfection', one must bear in mind that perfection implies something without flaw and without any way to improve it, which subsequently also means that perfection does in fact have a glaring imperfection - that unlike everything else in the world, perfection cannot be directly improved. What is perfect for you in one moment can become less perfect in the next, but it cannot become MORE perfect, only the same level of perfection or less.

The glaring issue that perfection must subsequently lead into more obvious imperfection is in fact an imperfection in the concept of perfection, as the concrete fact that something you enjoy less is now unavoidably on the horizon is quite clearly not a good thing and signifies that even perfection has the imperfection that the most you can hope for is to maintain perfection, but not to directly continue to achieve greater levels of perfection.

Looking back, you may see one perfection as greater than another as your experiences grow, as perfections in the moment, once the moment has passed, can logically be compared to other moments where you felt or observed perfection and categorise and order them, but this does not change the fact that at that moment in time you truly did see perfection, making them (on an emotional, in-the-moment scale) equally perfect.

Of course if you want to lie to yourself and call something perfect when it's actually not (like in nina's post) then you are simply fooling yourself into believing something is perfect. Of course, since perfection is, as stated, in the eye of the beholder (unless of course, all of society miraculously thinks the exact same thing is perfect which is........... highly unlikely) then even if you are fooling yourself, who's to say you didn't in the other scenarios? You could quite fairly argue that any perception of perfection may be (or maybe even argue 'must' be) you simply fooling yourself.

My point being, even so called 'real' moments of perfection are subject to the same pros and cons as when you are ignorantly and desperately forcing something into perfection. Of course, this does not escape the fact that anyone who knowingly ignores flaws and persists at the belief of it's perfection is just setting themselves up for a fall. I am merely trying to differentiate between people who fool themselves into thinking something is perfect due to not knowing enough (which can be likened to the 'real' moments) and someone who knowingly ignores flaws and persists at the idea of perfection - on the one hand you could see them as optimists, however considering the inability to improve on perfection I would actually argue they are voluntarily opting to place themselves in a pessimistic situation, which is rather stupid in my opinion and ignorance of flaws will only return to bite people in the arse.

• 2 weeks later...