My definition of good music

Painted_Whore♥~

I see zero forums for music that I listen to now.

So this topic alone will ONLY be for 90s Alternative music, death metal, heavy metal, and classic rock.

Please take new age horrific bands else where c:

(Not saying all new age bands are horrific.I just feel like these genres don't get enough recognition.)

I'll start you off on a few examples:

Pearl Jam, Tonic, Queens of The Stoneage, Audioslave, Pink Floyd.

So let's discuss some rock history <3

Edited by ShadowsOfAStorm<3

Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jet, Gorillaz, Oasis, and Third Eye Blind.

I don't see where the music industry went wrong. Half the music now have lyrics that don't really say anything. It seems like these days, as long as it has a catchy beat, people will eat it up.

I guess that's how Dubstep got so popular, but at least they don't even try to put lyrics in it, so I guess it succeeds.

Edited by Motion

Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jet, Gorillaz, Oasis, and Third Eye Blind.

I don't see where the music industry went wrong. Half the music now have lyrics that don't really say anything. It seems like these days, as long as it has a catchy beat, people will eat it up.

I guess that's how Dubstep got so popular, but at least they don't even try to put lyrics in it, so I guess it succeeds.

I actually like Dubstep though. But I agree with you. Lyrics can make no sense and just because the beat is great everyone loves it. Look at modern day music. Lyrics consisting of sex, drugs, alcohol, and oh wait more sex. .-. I honestly miss the days when music actually have meaning. Which is why I love old music. Like 90's alternative or even grunge.

Tonic... awesome band, I freakin had Lemon Parade on cassette.

90's thrash rules, more obscure bands such as Tourniquet, Believer, and Jesus Freaks are among my favs.

The 90's second wave of Black Metal was also an awesome period of music.

90's music has loads of bands that will be tomorrows classics(I say tomorrows cause hell, its only been 20 years)

BUT, nineties music was just as full of bullshit as today's. Certainly, these bands were not as high profile, nor were they as blatant on the subjects of sex, parties, booze and drugs. But seriously, if you think nineties music didn't touch on those constantly, you're ignoring history.

Nor did many of them have much of a deep meaning. Tonics Lemon Parade was pretty much just a dream the dude had. Possibly while high on something or the other. Ever since The Beatles and other early rock and roll bands touched and hinted at drug use and sex in their songs, its been a constant thing. Not like its something new to this generation of music.

Edited by HopeUnveiled

Tonic... awesome band, I freakin had Lemon Parade on cassette.

90's thrash rules, more obscure bands such as Tourniquet, Believer, and Jesus Freaks are among my favs.

The 90's second wave of Black Metal was also an awesome period of music.

90's music has loads of bands that will be tomorrows classics(I say tomorrows cause hell, its only been 20 years)

BUT, nineties music was just as full of bullshit as today's. Certainly, these bands were not as high profile, nor were they as blatant on the subjects of sex, parties, booze and drugs. But seriously, if you think nineties music didn't touch on those constantly, you're ignoring history.

Nor did many of them have much of a deep meaning. Tonics Lemon Parade was pretty much just a dream the dude had. Possibly while high on something or the other. Ever since The Beatles and other early rock and roll bands touched and hinted at drug use and sex in their songs, its been a constant thing. Not like its something new to this generation of music.

At least they were subtle with it. I know they talked about it. But it wasn't as obvious as today's music. They make SURE you know they're talking about such things

At least they were subtle with it. I know they talked about it. But it wasn't as obvious as today's music. They make SURE you know they're talking about such things

So which is worse, saying it out loud and not giving a damn, or just hinting and being half assed about it?

So which is worse, saying it out loud and not giving a damn, or just hinting and being half assed about it?

Simple: Hinting. If you don't look too far into the lyrics you barley notice which makes it fine for younger children to listen to because they don't fully understand the lyrics. It just sounds like a simple song and they add their own meaning to the lyrics. Once you're older you realize all the hinted messages.

Simple: Hinting. If you don't look too far into the lyrics you barley notice which makes it fine for younger children to listen to because they don't fully understand the lyrics. It just sounds like a simple song and they add their own meaning to the lyrics. Once you're older you realize all the hinted messages.

It is better when artists hide meanings of sex and drugs than blatantly spitting it out. When you don't even try to hide it, that's showing you have no creativity to even try. You just put sex and drugs and words to rhyme things with sex and drugs. That's a failure as an artist in my eyes. Though I have seen musicians come out with entire records pretty much saying they fucked a different chick every night for a month straight in every song. What happened to having a story behind the lyrics that didn't involve shit like that?

Edited by Motion

It is better when artists hide meanings of sex and drugs than blatantly spitting it out. When you don't even try to hide it, that's showing you have no creativity to even try. You just put sex and drugs and words to rhyme things with sex and drugs. That's a failure as an artist in my eyes. Though I have seen musicians come out with entire records pretty much saying they fucked a different chick every night for a month straight in every song. What happened to having a story behind the lyrics that didn't involve shit like that?

That music died when kids at a young age realized sex feels good and that drugs and acohol make them escape reality. So why not relate music to what all the kids are doing now a days? It's honestly pretty sad that many songs now a days have no meaning. I hope new age rock realizes what they're doing wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love 90s and classic rock, yet only a handful of bands have been named. \:

ACDC

Nirvana

The Rolling Stones

Beastie Boys

Smashing Pumpkins

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Aerosmith

Poison

(Pretty sure System of a Down was late 90s.)

Muse

Slayer

Radiohead

Bon Jovi

Alice in Chains

Metallica

Sublime

Cake

Rage Against the Machine

Gun'N'Roses

Queen

Tool