Tattoos.

Soph

So I've been thinking about getting a tattoo recently, except I'm not sure what I want. 

Don't suppose any of you have any ideas and I'll love you forever? there's no point saying to me "if you don't know what you want you're not ready for one blah blah blah" because I like a lot of things but deciding is hard x) 

Orrrrr do any of you amazing artists out there feel like designing me one?

<3

I understand that not everyone cares if a tattoo means something to them, but us telling you what tattoos we think you should have with no knowledge of your preference is a bit well... I mean you haven't even told us any themes or styles that you like so it's a bit too ambiguous for someone to make an appropriate suggestion?

What style do you like? what are you into? colours? no colours?!?

As for the design part, unless you're getting a drawing that is particularly significant to you (drawn by your niece etc) I wouldn't just ask anyone to design you a tattoo unless it's a specific artist that you really love the style of. It's part of the tattooists job to help you with your design, also because they know what will and will not work, and can picture realistically what the image will look like on a certain part of your body, I'd suggest finding an idea and taking it to the artist. They'll draw up a draft and you can tell them what you want changed if anything :)  

I have an idea for one for myself, but it's a very personal thing that I'll only share after I get it. But what I wanted to say, really, is that I have had several ideas before I thought of this one, and every one was something that had deep meaning for me, something that involved strong emotions on my part. It has to be something that I love very much, and in a deep and meaningful way. Something that says something about me, about my inner spirit. It has to be deeply emotional and personal. Getting a tattoo, for me, is a memorial of a sort. There was a time when I thought of getting a tattoo just because I wanted a tattoo, and then I was always trying to think of something to get inked on me. Now I don't do that. Sure, I still want one to for the sake of getting one, sort of (although this one won't be my first, or even second) but the main reason I want it is to express to the world something that has deep and lasting meaning for me. Something that is beautiful to me. Something that is me. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I hope this will give you a guideline on how to decide what is worthy of being a permanent memorial that you will carry all of your life. It has to be worthy.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I understand I'm being a bit vague - I just really have no idea what I want aha. I did call my cousin up today to see if he had any ideas (he's a tattoo artist) and he gave me some stuff to think about! It's just ideas I want really <3

Hey Soph, correct me if I'm wrong, but I take it that this is your first tattoo? 

you might want to think about if you want the tattoo to represent something, also how long the tattoo will take, where you want to get it, as well as how long you will have to sit in the chair and handle the pain. Do you want it in colour, or black and white? do you want a small or big tattoo? Do you want a quote, or just a picture of something, it all depends on what you like and think you might want. I recommend you research tattoo styles, as well as check out some artists and their artwork, look for something you think you would like. Remember once you get a tattoo it won't come off, unless you do the fancy lazer treatment which doesn't always work or getting it covered up with another tattoo. You could always meet up with a tattoo artist tell them a bit about yourself and say that your looking for a tattoo, never tell a tattoo artist you don't know what you want though.

-You dont always have to sit and ponder for hours what you want to get. Ive got tattoos on me with absolutely no meaning, I just liked it. If you want to get inked on a whim, I say go or it. I like all of mine's.

-The tattooist should have a book of their work on hand. Look through it and pick one, lol. Or pick a quote from a song you like.

-If youre a first timer, you really want to avoid areas where theres not a lot of fat on you (feet, ankles, behind the ear, or chest). Thoses hurt a bit more.