Being emo?

Katroseb

So I have depression and other issues but I don't know if that qualifies me as emo. I'm curious as to how you associate with that. And if someone could explain to me whether it is more a mental state or being or simply a look or style. Or a lifestyle? Thanks

• Downvote 1

After all that , Emo is a special way of thinking . almost of time it was natural ..

like if u hav a despression , u r only .... or something like that

then automatically u'll like emo's music,style ......

Someone translate this

emo is a music genre, blah blah, nothing else, all that crap

It's dead anyway, all of you should go be hipster. 

Someone translate this

emo is a music genre, blah blah, nothing else, all that crap

It's dead anyway, all of you should go be hipster. 

This

Depression ≠ Emo

depression is just an overused trait in the subulture

• 1 month later...

Emo was originally about putting true emotion into music and gradually evolved into clothes styles har things and an offshoot of Goth, commonly associated with cutting though not all those who cut are emo, nor are all emo's cutting.

It's all how you think and how open your mind isto this world and it's cruel reality

• 7 months later...

Okay we can kinda put this whole depression aspect into two groups so you don't get fucking confused.

First we have Nihilisticly depressed people like my personal favorite members, best friends Sandra and Loralie.

They like dark and macabre themes and multicultures. When they are sad its not for themselves, they are sad due to the rest of the world and the suffering that OTHER people are privy to. They don't think about themeselves as being self absorbed. they understand when to properly feel depressed. They find death to be mysterious and fasinating in a philosophical way and NOT a suicidal psycho way. They have an actual fucking personality and hobbies. They don't get depressed too often because they are active and it stimulates the happy chemicals of thier brain. They pretty much just suffer from exhaustion or agravation but they don't go passing it off as depressed. They love literature and vintage themes. Sandra the lesbian pagan has degrees in chemistry and Loralie despite being Rockabilly, has a Jamaican surfer fiance and she excels in sports. Loralie takes public transportation, wears walmart jeans and has divorced parents and she is the happiest fucking person ever. Sandra is a self admited recovering alcoholic and she doesn't blame anyone for it. She takes responsibility like the adult that she is instead of having a victim complex. She can walk out of a bad relationship unphased because she doesn't expect the world to be perfect for her. Those are my nihilistic friends even though my nature is pragmatic.

Then you got the emo depressed people of the community. This would be the division 98 percent of people fall under.

They always intruduce themselves as emos. They always drop hints that they are emo. They only want to date other emo people. They don't even have to do shit to make friends or followers all they have to do is say they are emo and boom... They get alot of followers. They take pictures with thier greasy hair all over thier face like it's suppose to be poetic or something. They are lazy and they never really put effort in an identity. They think being a fan of a band or artists is equal to an identity. They blame everyone for thier short comings. They don't fix themselves they will just whine to elicit compliments and sympathy because it takes no effort on thier part. They are emotional munipulators that keep making threats to die or harm themselves because they are fucking assholes and they want to guilt trap people in relationships. Everything is about them them them and you never know anything else about them as people because the only fucking standard that matters is if they say they are emo and nothing else. These are emo people i don't fucking know anything about and aren't unique in the least and will sooner than not take offense to the truth and call it stereotypes instead of being mad that they perpetuate these stereotypes in the first place they will declare music saves lives and they wont get a job until theres an opening at hot topic.

Edited by EvilActivity