what makes emo, emo?

OctoberShowers

False. Emo is a music genre.

If you'd like the stereotypical Emo, I can explain it for you.

Basically, the stereotype for Emo is kids that go around wearing dark clothes, usually accompanied by dark makeup (on guys and girls alike.) And it's usually associated with cutting. Also usually associated with depression, and hating the world, parents don't understand blah blah blah yeah. there you go. Enjoy.

emo is down to attitude because you must feel a type of way to write and create a song with that emotion but it shouldnt be exagerated or faked otherwise people will see through it and will be like omg poser.

If im honest most of the music i have listened to has started to fail as time goes on so it maybe because no one has the real heart to do it anymore, which is awful because at some point it was quite good.

You asked what the stereotypical Emo was, we answered you. I did mention the attitude in my post. Stereotypically, Emo is all about exaggeration. Because it's about "making a statement." So...

The music is always failing. Everyone turns sell out one time or another. That's why there are always new bands. Because the old ones disappear. :/ It's horrible really.

In conclusion, don't try to be "Emo." Because it's a music genre for one. And for two, you'll seem like a poser and join half of all other teenagers who think it's cool to be/look/seem depressed.

oh ok i have upset people again well totally noraml for good ol' october feel completely exiled from this site though it is s'pose to make peolpe feel like we have some where to go where our likes dislikes can be exsepted.

so what if i like stereotypical, i like open mindedness too, something we are short off here at ep there should be more varriation.

No one is upset. Minus you apparently. You asked a question, there was an answer given, what's the problem? I have plenty of friends that like the Emo fasion/style. Irl and on here. I don't care what they wear or how they use makeup. (Unless it's on a guy. That's not attractive imo LOL.)

Not really sure what you meant about your dislikes... You asked a question about stereotypical Emo.

I have a very open mind. But you see, just because I'm open minded does not mean I will ignore a fact.

You can go be stereotypically emo all you want. No one here is judging you for it.

I apologise if it seems like I'm attacking your interests. That wasn't my intention. Just trying to answer your question.

I think some of you are contradicting yourselves. Like...you say that "emo" is a music genre, then call yourself emo? yeaaaaaaah. I totally agree with Mickey on this one tbh. I don't understand some of you. You call yourself emo, then rage about the fact that people stereotype you and "hate on you". You're not really helping yourself, if you don't want to be stereotyped.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but it's just my opinion on this.

Also, about emo being down to attitude because you must feel a certain way to write and create a song with that emotion? Frankly, that's complete and utter bullshit. You don't need to have an "emo" attitude or be emo to write a passionate song. What about all the amazing songs BEFORE emo-core was introduced? While I admit that yes, emo-core IS a passionate style of music, it's not the only style of music that is passionate - therefore, having an "emo attitude" to create a song with that emotion isn't true in the slightest.

False. Emo is a music genre.

If you'd like the stereotypical Emo, I can explain it for you.

Basically, the stereotype for Emo is kids that go around wearing dark clothes, usually accompanied by dark makeup (on guys and girls alike.) And it's usually associated with cutting. Also usually associated with depression, and hating the world, parents don't understand blah blah blah yeah. there you go. Enjoy.

I do think it is about the music and people added stereotypes to make it sound like emo's are throwing themseles a pity party so they can pick on us.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

And I wanna say what I already said in some of my threads to all these:

limited,imprevious to cultural development, blind slaves of "how to sound more true" sceneish tips invented in XXI century.

Btw. actually we talk about pop culture, pop fashion, pop icons (ppl), pop things etc. Even if it does not usually get shortened form when talking about ppl...

But maybe you should ask IGGY POP lol (if you know who is he, maybe you listen only to what is called emo by "scene-bible" or sth.)