Emo is:

Dragon_emo17

I also think people should check out the Goth subculture page on Wikipedia...

"The goth subculture is a contemporary subculture found in many countries. It began in England during the early 1980s in the gothic rock scene, an offshoot of the post-punk genre. The goth subculture has survived much longer than others of the same era, and has continued to diversify. Its imagery and cultural proclivities indicate influences from the 19th century Gothic literature along with horror films and to a lesser extent the BDSM culture."

So Goth started as just a genre of music but evolved into something more. You can't seriously pretend that emo isn't well into that same evolutionary process. And you have to know that, when this was happening for Goth, some guy was like, "No man, it's just a genre of music... You can't be goth, dude. It's just music. That's it." :tongue:

To be honest, I almost find it humorous that fans of emo music even want to deny the existence of something more... It's like saying, "No, we refuse to associate with any artistic expression except for the already existing genre of music called emo." It's silly. And if that is ALL that emo is, what is the point of this forum? Shouldn't it just be one board: Music? Why is there a separate section for specifically emo chat as opposed to off topic discussion? Under the logic that emo is JUST music, shouldn't those two be the same? Why is there an Emo Poems & Lyrics board? etc.

EDIT: And by the way, for those of you who have tried claiming that wikipedia doesn't think emo is also a subculture, see Emo (disambiguation):

"Emo (also termed emo-pop or emocore) is a style of rock music and its associated subculture" (emphasis mine)

Edited by Erasmas
  • Downvote 1

While I do praise you, Erasmas, on actually doing some research, you're still wrong.

Goth is a style that erupted from the Punk scene. Goth is a style. Emo is also a style. Gothic Rock is a music genere. Emotional hardcore, or Emotivecore, or Emocore is also a music genre.

To be honest, I almost find it humorous that fans of emo music even want to deny the existence of something more... It's like saying, "No, we refuse to associate with any artistic expression except for the already existing genre of music called emo." It's silly.

I almost find it humorous that people like you push this so much. Your argument is that there is something more than just the music. Right? Emo is a style/music genre. You cannot be a music genre or a style itself. No one is refusing "to associate with any artistic expression except for the already existing genre of music called emo." Let me ask you this, if there is something more to Emo, beyond the style, beyond the music... What is it? If it's an attitude, what attitude is it exactly? Being depressed is not an attitude, it's a condition. One that should be treated and taken care of. Not one that should be encouraged. If non-conformity is the attitude, than the conclusion would be that there are no rules. Which means there is no right, and there is no wrong. Meaning Emo can be whatever the hell people want it to be. But you're trying to convince people that their wrong.

And if that is ALL that emo is, what is the point of this forum? Shouldn't it just be one board: Music? Why is there a separate section for specifically emo chat as opposed to off topic discussion? Under the logic that emo is JUST music, shouldn't those two be the same? Why is there an Emo Poems & Lyrics board? etc.

What's the point of any Forum? Why is there a specifically emo chat as opposed to off topic discussion? Well first of all, one is a chat, and it needed a name. And this is an Emo Forum. Sooo..... Secondly, under the logic that emo is JUST music, how would those two things be the same? You sir, or ma'am, make no sense. There is an Emo Poems & Lyrics board because Emo is a genre. So obviously, there are going to be Poems/Lyrics associated with it. Unless you're now trying to convince us that all poetry and lyrics are the same?

In conclusion, find something new to whine about.

Oh - and as for this site saying that it's a complete way of being, do you think that it makes a difference? Do you honestly think that because this site says it, it makes it true? Opinions do not change facts.

Goth is a style that erupted from the Punk scene. Goth is a style. Emo is also a style. Gothic Rock is a music genere. Emotional hardcore, or Emotivecore, or Emocore is also a music genre.

Wanna talk about Punk? Punk is also a subculture. Stating that they are music genres over and over gets you nowhere... Especially when no one is denying that they started as music genres.

I almost find it humorous that people like you push this so much. Your argument is that there is something more than just the music. Right? Emo is a style/music genre. You cannot be a music genre or a style itself. No one is refusing "to associate with any artistic expression except for the already existing genre of music called emo." Let me ask you this, if there is something more to Emo, beyond the style, beyond the music... What is it? If it's an attitude, what attitude is it exactly? Being depressed is not an attitude, it's a condition. One that should be treated and taken care of. Not one that should be encouraged. If non-conformity is the attitude, than the conclusion would be that there are no rules. Which means there is no right, and there is no wrong. Meaning Emo can be whatever the hell people want it to be. But you're trying to convince people that their wrong.

I have no idea how you concluded that I was saying being depressed and not conforming define "emo." :tongue: But anyways, to respond to the parts of this that did make sense...

To quote this very web site once again:

"Some do it for the look, some do it for the music, some do it for the art. No matter what the reason, it is an attitude, an ideology, a view of the world."

So that's what the EP stance is to answer your question of "what it [emo]?" It's even on the page titled "What is Emo" -- how convenient!

What's more, I have stated in the past and will probably have to repeat again that I cannot give you such a specific definition, because cultures can almost never be placed neatly into a box like you're demanding that I do. To quote part of my convo with scotch...

I haven't told you what emo is in the sense of a definition. We haven't been arguing over what it is in that sense... We've been arguing over the parameters it inhabits. For example, you have been saying Emo is confined to just a genre of music... You haven't said what embodies that type of music, just that those are the parameters you see. Similarly, I have said that emo can be "a complete way of being" as this very site holds. I haven't said what embodies that way of being, which would be what emo "is" (as opposed to what we are discussing, which is what emo "is limited to be"). That is what I am here to learn (though I don't think study is the best word of choice, but I can't think of any better one; study implies observance, where I am involved and have contributed to the board and chat like anyone else). So I'm trying to learn about the embodiment of what emo is, not the parameters it must inhabit.

Think of it like this... I can say, "X is a rectangle." That's what you and I are debating here. Is X a rectangle? Is it a circle? Is it a pentagon? That's analogous to our ongoing conversation.

Okay, so let's say that whichever one of us proposed "X is a rectangle" is correct (and it doesn't matter which one of us that is, haha). What I'm here to do is find out more. What is the length of X? The width? How is X situated relative to other shapes (ways of being, genres of music, whatever)? That's what I came here to find out. :) All I'm saying is that emo has a certain Form, as Plato may call it, (think "X is a rectangle"), and that's all I've "told" you emo is. What I'm here to learn is what specific characteristics that Form embodies (the width, length, and position of the rectangle).

Hope that clears that up. :)

Moreover, culture is defined by its inhabitants and its contributions. If you want to know about what emo is, go read our Poems and Lyrics section; go look through the drawings and stuff users have posted. Art is the expression of ideas and values.

Well first of all, one is a chat, and it needed a name. And this is an Emo Forum. Sooo..... Secondly, under the logic that emo is JUST music, how would those two things be the same? You sir, or ma'am, make no sense. There is an Emo Poems & Lyrics board because Emo is a genre. So obviously, there are going to be Poems/Lyrics associated with it. Unless you're now trying to convince us that all poetry and lyrics are the same?

I was referring tot he Emo Talk forum, which shouldn't be separate from either the music or the off topic boards if Emo is JUST a type of music. ;)

If emo is JUST music, then emo discussion would be the same as the music discussion and the general discussion of the board. :P

Ah, so it isn't just a genre of music? Now it's a broad genre that can be applied to other things, even just poetry without music attached to it? Let me ask you, what makes emo music "emo"? Wikipedia: "melodic musicianship and expressive, often confessional lyrics." That's what characterizes "emo" music. Cannot the same principles be transposed to other areas of life? What is melody but the way things fit together? My life is melodic to me--it all rhymes, compliments itself, and works well together. That's the nature of consistency. My lyrics (actions and words of my life) are expressive and often confessional. It's the exact same concept applied to a different part of life. THAT is why it makes sense to categorize it similarly. So this "genre" isn't just for music... And who that hell are you to tell anyone that they can't apply it elsewhere?

Oh - and as for this site saying that it's a complete way of being, do you think that it makes a difference? Do you honestly think that because this site says it, it makes it true? Opinions do not change facts.

Of course not, but (1) it seems happily ironic that you would go to a web site which very specifically disagrees with you, join it when it was made for purposes that you cannot accept (emo being more than just a music), and then demand that its viewpoint be disregarded... And (2) you haven't provided any facts. :P

OhBollocks:

LOL. XD I especially love how when you say I haven't done my research, (1) it directly contradicts Mickey, who said I did, and (2) I'm the one who has been posting links and sources to support me... WHICH MEANS I DID THE RESEARCH. God, some people just make me lol. XD I assume you made your entertaining post for the fulfillment of my own humorous desires.

And there's plenty more where that came from. We've just scratched the surface. The reality is that when a group of people come together for a common reason--any reason, but in this case music--and share ideas, thoughts, contributions, etc.; communicate these things with each other and build each other up; they are creating an identify for themselves as a group. The fact that this forum exists is proof in-and-of itself that emos are connected by more than just the music we started from.

0.0 so am I wrong about emo?? D:

Depends on who you ask. ;) Like I told scotch, it can be just a type of music to some people. There's nothing wrong with that. But those individuals should lay down in the road and demand that the rest of us refrain from seeking a cultural identity beyond what "just music" can provide.

it is? O_O

i can expect people who know my name to call me by it <_< from now on ima call you... bubbles ^.^ because im guessing thats your name :3 -pats bubbles head- y must you offend everyone on here? .-. its very disrespectfull to say u wana know about something then argue about it

I have no idea how you concluded that I was saying being depressed and not conforming define "emo." :tongue: But anyways, to respond to the parts of this that did make sense...

To quote this very web site once again:

"Some do it for the look, some do it for the music, some do it for the art. No matter what the reason, it is an attitude, an ideology, a view of the world."

So that's what the EP stance is to answer your question of "what it [emo]?" It's even on the page titled "What is Emo" -- how convenient!

Lol? I wasn't saying you were saying that. Sorry if it came off like that. What I was saying was that the typical view of "Emo" is associated with being depressed and being non-conforming. Which, even you cannot argue with. The Emo Scene has been heavily been damaged by these kinds of views. I was asking what YOUR OPINION was on what Emo is. Because I am honestly and sincerely curious. No ulterior motive.

Yes, I know what the EP site says, I do work here. But just because that's what the site says, does not mean I believe it and it does not mean you believe it.

What's more, I have stated in the past and will probably have to repeat again that I cannot give you such a specific definition, because cultures can almost never be placed neatly into a box like you're demanding that I do. To quote part of my convo with scotch...

Moreover, culture is defined by its inhabitants and its contributions. If you want to know about what emo is, go read our Poems and Lyrics section; go look through the drawings and stuff users have posted. Art is the expression of ideas and values.

I wasn't asking you to put it in a box. You're telling people that they're wrong for their opinion, or at least, that's what it's coming off as. Maybe I'm wrong. So if anything you're putting it in a box and saying that it can't be limited to what we think... I realize that was worded quite poorly, bear with me here. Culture is indeed defined by it's inhabitants and it's contributions, but the point that you're making with the Poems and Lyrics is invalid. Most of our Poems and Lyrics are quite depressing. While there can be beauty in pain, it only proves my point. The Emo genre is heavily associated with depression. I'm not trying to bash any of our poets or lyricists either, I often enjoy many of their entries. I'm just saying. May I ask a question? If the lyrics, poems, drawings, ect. are all helping to define Emo... What's the definition? All art is Emo? All lyrics/poems are Emo?

I was referring tot he Emo Talk forum, which shouldn't be separate from either the music or the off topic boards if Emo is JUST a type of music. :wink:;

If emo is JUST music, then emo discussion would be the same as the music discussion and the general discussion of the board. :tongue:

Ahh I understand what you're saying now. Yes. I agree with you. But if you hadn't noticed, this site in itself is stereotypical :P Like I said, just because the site says it, doesn't mean it's true.

Ah, so it isn't just a genre of music? Now it's a broad genre that can be applied to other things, even just poetry without music attached to it? Let me ask you, what makes emo music "emo"? Wikipedia: "melodic musicianship and expressive, often confessional lyrics." That's what characterizes "emo" music. Cannot the same principles be transposed to other areas of life? What is melody but the way things fit together? My life is melodic to me--it all rhymes, compliments itself, and works well together. That's the nature of consistency. My lyrics (actions and words of my life) are expressive and often confessional. It's the exact same concept applied to a different part of life. THAT is why it makes sense to categorize it similarly. So this "genre" isn't just for music... And who that hell are you to tell anyone that they can't apply it elsewhere?

Now you're just making stuff up to support your case. Let's first address the meaning of the word "Melody" shall we? Note - "a poem suitable for singing." So yeah, poems can be Emo, as it is where most lyrics come from. Stop making connections where there are none. You can say you're life is melodic all you want, it's a figure of speech. Which would disprove your point. No, this "genre" isn't just for music. It's also a style, as I've stated. And it can be applied to poetry. Who the hell are you to tell anyone that they have to apply it elsewhere?

Of course not, but (1) it seems happily ironic that you would go to a web site which very specifically disagrees with you, join it when it was made for purposes that you cannot accept (emo being more than just a music), and then demand that its viewpoint be disregarded... And (2) you haven't provided any facts. :tongue:

Lol... Actually, I went to this site looking to troll some people. I joined this site because the people on it were actually pretty cool. (I've been on this site for almost a year. I was active in the chat before I ever joined the Forum. And when I say "the chat" I mean the Chatango chat. Not the IP.) And you're demanding that a lot of peoples viewpoint be changed, what's the difference? Also, you want some facts? That Wiki you keep referencing, did you actually read the whole thing? Let's skip what the origins are, let's go to what it is currently, ACCORDING TO THE WIKI. I see nothing about some higher meaning. All I see, is music talk. And also, note the part about people who couldn't define it. This brings me back to what I was saying about Emo not having rules. Maybe it doesn't have rules. Maybe it is something we're all supposed to figure out on our own. Maybe Emo is what we make of it. But using this logic, (and whatever you said about life being melodic) wouldn't that mean that LIFE in itself is Emo? In which case, Emo doesn't even exist. Because it's just life.

And there's plenty more where that came from. We've just scratched the surface. The reality is that when a group of people come together for a common reason--any reason, but in this case music--and share ideas, thoughts, contributions, etc.; communicate these things with each other and build each other up; they are creating an identify for themselves as a group. The fact that this forum exists is proof in-and-of itself that emos are connected by more than just the music we started from.

What? Now you have me completely lost. This forums existance proves emos are connected by more than just the music we started from? How? .-.