How do you dye naturally black hair ? First time dyer.

Remix

Ok, so iv'e got naturally black hair and i would like to dye it it's opposing color, white. Can i get suggestions of the brand of dye to get that offers white thats a really good one ? Not platinum blonde, not something close to white, but actually white ? I also have some questions for people who have dyed their hair more than three times at least:

1. Will it dye whiter if i leave it in longer ?

2. If i wash it will the dye leave faster ?

3. Are there any tricks or tips that will give me the best effects ?

4. How soon can i dye it again if it starts to fade ?

Any feedback would be great, even if it seems simplistic and obvious, iv'e never dyed my hair before so any info is help to me ^ ^

Edited by Remix

Guest Falling Friends

Bleach it. Its your only choice. Personally, I don't know any brands off by heart. But what I usually say is get the best brand, the most expensive. So, yeah. Bleach.

The best thing to use that you can buy in shops is decolour stripper http://www.boots.com/en/Decolour-Hair-Colour-Stripper_1262296/

My hair is naturally very very dark brown and that's what I use, it's pretty much the same thing they use in salons.

It comes with directions, if youre planning on dying a lot I would suggest getting someone to help you, and to do it in sections or it'll be patchy.

You'll need to shampoo and towel dry your hair and then apply it. Never leave bleach on for longer than the instructions say because-

1. It'll super kill your hair

2. The bleach will burn your skin and it's really not pleasant.

Usually it says to leave it for 30 to 45 minutes. If you want to speed it up you can wrap up strips of hair (after applying the bleach) in tinfoil. You could also then run over it with a blow dryer, heat helps speed up the reaction.

It'll need maybe two or three bleaches, you'll need to wait maybe a week in between rebleaching to give your hair a chance to settle and repair itself a bit.

Have someone else do it. Essentially, as the above two have outlined, you're not dying your hair at all in this case, what you're actually doing is stripping the colour out of it. I would have someone professionally do this in your case as repeated bleaches can seriously damage your hair even when done correctly, though naturally the chances are much lower.

Wanna dye your hair at home? Cool beans, but bleaching your hair at home is not a good idea.

As for your questions, yours don't really apply as you're bleaching, not dying, however in general dyed hair can fade after washing and you can top it up with further colour to try and prevent that. Assuming question one is the duration you leave it in your hair - just leave dye in the amount of time whatever product you buy tells you to, do not vary it. As nina pointed out in regards to bleach, it also applies to dying that you should give your hair some time to rest and repair before re-dying. Some people just leave it a couple of days but I'm more inclined to leave it a week or two.

Bleach it. Its your only choice. Personally, I don't know any brands off by heart. But what I usually say is get the best brand, the most expensive. So, yeah. Bleach.

Will bleach turn it white ? Or blonde ? Because i'm trying for snow white.

Have someone else do it. Essentially, as the above two have outlined, you're not dying your hair at all in this case, what you're actually doing is stripping the colour out of it. I would have someone professionally do this in your case as repeated bleaches can seriously damage your hair even when done correctly, though naturally the chances are much lower.

Wanna dye your hair at home? Cool beans, but bleaching your hair at home is not a good idea.

As for your questions, yours don't really apply as you're bleaching, not dying, however in general dyed hair can fade after washing and you can top it up with further colour to try and prevent that. Assuming question one is the duration you leave it in your hair - just leave dye in the amount of time whatever product you buy tells you to, do not vary it. As nina pointed out in regards to bleach, it also applies to dying that you should give your hair some time to rest and repair before re-dying. Some people just leave it a couple of days but I'm more inclined to leave it a week or two.

I thought bleaching only turned it blonde and i had to dye it after that.

The best thing to use that you can buy in shops is decolour stripper http://www.boots.com...ripper_1262296/

My hair is naturally very very dark brown and that's what I use, it's pretty much the same thing they use in salons.

It comes with directions, if youre planning on dying a lot I would suggest getting someone to help you, and to do it in sections or it'll be patchy.

You'll need to shampoo and towel dry your hair and then apply it. Never leave bleach on for longer than the instructions say because-

1. It'll super kill your hair

2. The bleach will burn your skin and it's really not pleasant.

Usually it says to leave it for 30 to 45 minutes. If you want to speed it up you can wrap up strips of hair (after applying the bleach) in tinfoil. You could also then run over it with a blow dryer, heat helps speed up the reaction.

It'll need maybe two or three bleaches, you'll need to wait maybe a week in between rebleaching to give your hair a chance to settle and repair itself a bit.

So don't bother with dye just professionally have it bleached repeatedly ?

You can get blonde hairdyes which contain bleach and yellow toners which make your hair blonde, although generally when using them on dark colours you just go orange.

With Colour Stripper it's literally just to remove the pigment and lighten it, not to tone it in anyway so it does end up orangish but is more efficient than blonde bleach. if you continually strip your hair it will end up very very light, then you use a white toner or blue shampoo to take the remaining yellowish hues out.

If your hair is black and you intend on going peroxide blonde/white I would definitely suggest getting it done professionally, especially seeing as it's your first time bleaching.

You can get blonde hairdyes which contain bleach and yellow toners which make your hair blonde, although generally when using them on dark colours you just go orange.

With Colour Stripper it's literally just to remove the pigment and lighten it, not to tone it in anyway so it does end up orangish but is more efficient than blonde bleach. if you continually strip your hair it will end up very very light, then you use a white toner or blue shampoo to take the remaining yellowish hues out.

If your hair is black and you intend on going peroxide blonde/white I would definitely suggest getting it done professionally, especially seeing as it's your first time bleaching.

Thank you, i found this the most helpful ^ ^

• 2 weeks later...

To make it really white, bleach it then mix the littlest bit of blue dye with conditioner, put it in your hair and rinse it out after about 30 mins to give it that cool colour, not the platinum blonde colour :tongue: Missy Vaughn has bleaching vids on her channel, you should check em out :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mRbTkmvFU&feature=plcp <------- best vid

This did answer a couple of my questions so thank you for the link but i think i'll stick with a professional bleaching it ^ ^;