What do you think about emo?

Tom

I think Emo means whatever people think it means, because it is of course people who invented the word Emo and its meaning. And people are what gives meaning to words, not a dictionary. Afterall there is only views and perceptions of the people that make up definition and meaning.

That being said to assign a definition for Emo would be difficult, because there is so many different meanings, styles and ways of Emo. So it is logical to create a definition to define the general characteristics of Emo. But what’s the difference between a generic definition and a stereotype?

Who is the person defining Emo? If a non-Emo person defined Emo I think the definition wouldn't be 'correct', because it would involve stereotypes that have been erroneously associated with Emo such as; self harm. If an Emo person was to create a definition for Emo he could say whatever he or she wished and it would be true (within reason) because he or she is the person who gives the word Emo definition and meaning. This raises two questions; if a non-Emo person was to define Emo would you reject it? And if an Emo person was to define Emo would that be him or her just creating a label for him or her to express?

I think there is a lot more to discuss then just; "What does Emo mean?" Such as; does Emo need definition? Does Emo want definition? With a definition would much of the Emo culture reject it and move on in an effort to be unique?

I think Emo means whatever people think it means' date=' because it is of course people who invented the word Emo and its meaning. And people are what gives meaning to words, not a dictionary. Afterall there is only views and perceptions of the people that make up definition and meaning.

[/quote']

That's a bit stupid, I could go around calling saying an apple is a sweet orange, citrus fruit, but it isn't, and even if hundreds of thousands of people believe that that's true, that doesn’t make it so.

The dictionary is full of definitions, definitions which are based on facts...not opinions.

I think Emo means whatever people think it means' date=' because it is of course people who invented the word Emo and its meaning. And people are what gives meaning to words, not a dictionary. Afterall there is only views and perceptions of the people that make up definition and meaning.

[/quote']

That's a bit stupid, I could go around calling saying an apple is a sweet orange, citrus fruit, but it isn't, and even if hundreds of thousands of people believe that that's true, that doesn’t make it so.

The dictionary is full of definitions, definitions which are based on facts...not opinions.

Thats your opinion on my opinion. By the way perception is not the same as opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Emo is a silly little thing.

What a hype it has made in popular culture recently, but as far as I know it has died down drastically. Over the many months that I frequented emo oriented sites, I think I gained a new perspective on it.

Emo is an internet phenomenon that most just use to enrich their lives somehow, while others use it to harm themselves or make others cringe at their stupidity.

Emo started out way back when as music, and as it turns out this music really isn't around anymore. Many people confuse true emo music with the sh-t that we hear nowadays. Much, much later after years of bastardization and the like, youth culture took over and made it what we see today.

So, what do I think about emo?

Though an annoying scene at first glance, emo introduced me to some fun people and some damn fine forums.

Overandout//

Guest CatherineIsCrazy

Emo is nothing more and nothing less' date=' than music.

It's not short for "emotional" it's not a "look"

it's not hair, it's not clothes, it's not make-up.

It's music, end of story.

[/quote']

BOWS

totally agree with u

people brought the definitiont oo far

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[/quote']

i totally agree with Effy.

-i have a strong feeling you're from luv-emo.lawl

anyways, when i was reading this very thread, i was like "WTF they cannot be serious!". you guys need to read this big time: http://www.emopuddle.com/forum/differences-of-emo-emotional-and-scene-t-611.html

I just think that it is a style of music. People can dress and act however they want. I don't give a fuck about them' date=' but don't bash my musical choices because you hate your life. ;)

[/quote']

dude, chill. in my opinion, i could care less about your musical choices. just get your terms straight. there's no such thing as "emo kids"! they're called "scenesters".