anyones parents have trouble accepting the "emo" look?

Catch&Release

My Dad is a little bitch, so he hates it. He always wanted me to be pretty and pink like all the other girls. Sucks for him, that wasn't what I wanted.

My Mom has always encouraged me to do what I wanted. Wether it was to be Emo/Scene, or be a total barbie doll, either way, she loved me.

So she really doesn't mind at all. I have some friends that do though... Well... People I hang out with.

my dad doesnt care how i dress, what I am as long as i treat him with respect and he actually encourages me to dress the way i want to... he even got me a studded wrist band........ but my step mum on the otherside... hates the way i dress, she thinks its a "phase" and believes i will be out of it in a year or so... i say pffft.... she complained i had too much black in my closet so i went and got red and purple skinnies.... shes like i go from one extreme to another.... she doesnt let me wear make-up, even though i have a whole heap of it. she believes that i am trying to be like other girls... that i have an attitude problem when in fact i treat her with respect unlike my cousin.... she thinks that the way i dress is just to fit in but yet when i dont want to do or wear something that other girls my age do she complains that im not like other girls >.< she thinks i have no problems in my life and that i am happy go lucky.... little does she know i suffer inside....i try and tell her stuff but she just brushes it off... im not even allowed to dye my hair!!! or have it the way i want to.... she wants me to be a total girly girly and to dress the way she wants me to.... some people tell me i need to rebel against her.... i am starting to rebel against her so i can get my way but sometimes i feel guilty as she can not have children of her own :/

haha sorry people i just kinda started rambling on >.<

my advice to you Catch&Release is to just be yourself and slowly make changes to what you want to wear and how you want to look... as you get older your parents will realise that they cant force you to wear or do what you dont want to and you are your own person ... you have your own style!

sorry if i wasnt anyhelp >.<

Edited by Purple Witch

my mom gives me a hard time about my clothing. I was wearing a chain the other day and she asked me why i was wearing it. I told her that it was my choice, not hers. she just said "oook". It makes me mad because when I was little, everyone told me i can be whoever i wanted to be. now they're tellin me I can't dress the way I want? I also want to be a tattoo artist. My mom looks at me like I'm crazy. Also my parents don't approve of the type of guys i like(the ones with tattoos and piercings). They also dont approve of my lesbian, bi, and gay friends. Nothing I say will change my parents minds. I just brush them off and tell them how I feel. Simple as that.

well straight up....i tell em what i think...get slapped, they step off spend a lil time debatin let me wear it for a while...an replay all over...my punk clothes are boss cannot stand preps...broke ones nose before though hahahahahaah

• Downvote 1

My mom just wants to make sure I don't go crazy :D Honestly I don't do the whole Emo/Scene black black black thing. I used to, but it honestly was a phase lol. My mom didn't really care when I did dress in mostly black though. She just said stuff like "colours aren't bad you know." But for the most part she just let it be and let me do what I wanted ^-^ My sister hated it... But... Oh well. LOL. Both of them hate my music so, eh xD

My advise is talk to your parents about why they don't like it, and honestly try to listen to what they're saying and see it from their point of view. And then calmly explain your side, and how you like the style. If they're like hammer down, no black. Just tone it down a bit. Honestly, I'm not a parent, so, I can't say what they're doing is wrong. It just means they care about you, and are prolly worried.

Both of my parents give me a little room to express myself and my sense of style, but then they just said I was pushin it too far. Just today my mom said I should be more like my sister, a happy, little goody goody who loves sunny days and all that crap..i wanted to say that Im just not that kind of person and that I wanna do things my way, but then again I'd feel guilty because I'd be breaking my mothers heart and disappointing my father. I guess what Im trying to say is that if they dont accept it, one way or another their going to have too. I try to lighten up a tad, but not much I like my style and im not gunna change it.